Restorative Practice Coach - NYC Schools
Are you a creative leader and an educator with a background in facilitating youth development content through restorative practices? Are you passionate about teaching social justice and alternatives to violence? If you answered yes, join DREAM!
Dare to Revitalize Education thru Arts & Mediation (DREAM!) is a community-based organization on a mission to dismantle the school-to-prison pipeline by encouraging creative confidence in young people and equipping educators with practical skills to support positive student engagement and academic success. DREAM! serves this mission through programs that integrate Restorative Practices, such as Circle Keeping and Peer Mediation training in and through the arts.
DREAM! collaborates with students, families, and educational partners to create positive youth-centered school cultures. Our team utilizes our passions and professional talents to help shape successful learning environments where school violence, suspensions, and arrests are significantly reduced annually.
About the Opportunity
The Restorative Practice Coach will be responsible for planning, organizing, and facilitating our in-school restorative practice and conflict resolution programs. The RPC will work directly with educators and youth participants across the New York City tri-state community; where many of the staff use the skills of restorative practice in their classrooms and the principal is committed to further developing SEL skills & experiential, student-centered learning in the 2022-23 school year.
Role & Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will possess the ability to:
- Serve as a trusted partner and resource for the schools' community
- Motivate youth & staff to become agents of change
- Awaken interest in relationship building & creating a learning community of students & teachers
- Serve as a trusted partner and resource for the school’s community
- Facilitate Professional Developments and training for teachers, students, school administration, and support staff throughout NYC
- Coach and support newly trained Teachers on the integration of RP in their classrooms
- Work closely with the schools' leadership team and Restorative Coordinator to establish and implement a school-wide Restorative Practice Action Plan
- Coach and support the schools' discipline team, and support staff on the implementation of restorative discipline to assure sustainability of this effort
- Facilitate parent workshops on the use of Restorative Practices and mediation skills in the home
- Attend monthly DREAM! staff meetings
- Be willing and able to prepare for your assigned placement
- Maintain paperwork submission deadlines on a daily and monthly basis
- BA in Arts and/or Education, BFA or related training preferred
- A minimum of 3-years experience teaching, curriculum development, and working with youth
- In-depth knowledge, commitment to, and experience in restorative practices & the philosophy and art of Circle Keeping & Conflict Resolution
- Strong oral and written communication skills and an ability to work as part of a team
Prior work experience with schools and organizing in urban communities, or similar
- Must complete DREAM!’s Tier 1 - 3 restorative practice and mediation training
- Give a minimum commitment thru July 2023.
- Bi-lingual (English and Spanish)
Skills and Approach to Work
- Integrity, credibility, and a commitment/ passion for DREAM!’s mission
- Effective verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to problem-solve, work with a team, and ask for help
- Demonstrate effective classroom management skills and the ability to maintain a structured, positive learning environment
- Experience organizing and coordinating groups of people
- Communicate and follow-up regularly with the DREAM! Program Manager
- $45.00 hr/facilitation
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
DREAM! encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
DREAM! is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
How to Apply
Please email email@example.com a complete application package including:
- A cover letter outlining how your skills and qualifications meet the position requirements
- Any salary requirements